Prayer is the second pillar of Islam. Every Muslim from the age of 10 has the obligation to pray 5 times a day. Below are the 12 stages of Muslim prayer to learn how to pray.
How to do the 5 prayers of Islam? (beginners guide to muslim prayer)
After doing ablution, you can proceed to Salat. You must ensure that you have a clean body, a clean place to pray, and wear clothes that are free from impurities. The clothing required for prayer is a garment that covers from the navel to the knees for men; and a hijab for women.
How to pray in pictures?
What are the stages of Muslim prayer?
Preparing for prayer (salat)
- Stand straight facing the direction of Al-Kaaba (quibla). The direction of Al Quiblah differs from one country to another, in France it is 120°, in North America it is towards the East with a slight angle towards the North.
- Have the Niyah (intention) in the heart for the prayer you want to perform.
What do we say when we pray?
- Raise your hands up to your ears and say: “Allaho Akbar. “. It is called Takbirat Al Ihram, it is mandatory to be standing to pronounce it.
- Now place your right hand over the left hand on the chest and look down to where your forehead will touch the ground in Sujud (prostration), then recite Al Fatiha in Arabic: Al hamdu lil lahi rabbil’ alamin. Arrahmanir Rahim. Maliki yawmiddin. Iyyaka na’budu wa iyyaka nasta’in. Ihdina siratal mustaqim. Siratal ladhina an’amta’alaihim, ghairil maghdobi ‘alayhim wa lad dhalline”.
Recite a surah from the Quran
- Now recite any other passage from the Quran, a sura or just a verse.
You bow (roukoû’)
- Then bow while saying: “Allahu Akbar” and place your hands on your knees and say silently: “Subhana Rabbi al Adhim. ” thrice. It means: (How perfect is my Lord, the Supreme). This position is called Roukou‘. Keep your head aligned with your back and look down as you repeat “Subhana Rabbi al Adhim”.
- Stand up from the reclining position saying as you straighten up “Samia Allahou liman hamidah” (Allah hears those who praise Him). Once straightened say “Rabbana walaka lhamd” (Our Lord, praise be to You).
- Afterwards, prostrate yourself on the ground saying: “Allaho Akbar” with the forehead, nose, palms of both hands, knees and toes all touching the ground. Then repeat silently: “Subhana Rabbi al A’la. three times (How perfect is my Lord, the Most High). This position is called Soujoud. Keep your arms away from the sides of the body and the floor pray to God asking him what you want.
- Raise from the “soujoud” position while saying Allahu Akbar. Sit up straight with your knees bent and your palms placed on them and say, “Astghfirou Allah”. (O my Lord! Forgive me).
- Say “Allahu Akbar” and prostrate again in the Sujud position. Recite “Subhana Rabbiy A’la” three times. Sit from this position while saying “Allahu Akbar”. This completes the first Rakaa or unit of Salat.
- Now stand up for the second Rakaa and perform it in the same way (steps 4 to 11). After the second Sudjood (prostration) you sit on the left leg while keeping the right foot straight and put your right hand on the right thigh and the left on the left. Raise the index finger of the right hand by moving it gently and now recite the Tachahoud in silence:
التحيات لله والصلوات والطيبات, السلام عليك أيها النبي ورحمة لله وبركاته, السلام علينا و على عباد الله الصالحين, أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله, وأشهد أن محمدا عبده و رسوله.
At-Tahiyyatu lillahi Salawatu wat-Tayyibatu. As-Salamu ‘alaika ayyuhannabiyyu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu. Assalamu ‘alaina wa’ala ibadil-Lahis-Salihin. Ach’hadu al-La ilaha il-Lal lahu, wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluhu.
In a third Rak’ah (as in Maghrib) or a fourth (Dhohr, Asr and Isha), you stand for the remaining Raka(s) after doing Tashahhud. For a two Rakaa (Sobh or Nawafil) prayer, you remain seated after Tashahhud, then silently recite Assalat Al Ibrahimyah:
اللهم صل على محمد وعلى آل محمد, كما صليت على إبراهيم وعلى آل إبراهيم, وبارك على محمد وعلى آل محمد, كما باركت على إبراهيم وعلى آل إبراهيم, في العالمين إنك حميد مجيد.
“Allahumma salli ‘ala Muhammadin, Wa ‘ala ali Muhammad, Kama sallaita ‘ala Ibrahima, wa ‘ala ali Ibrahima, wa barik ‘ala Muhammad, wa ‘ala ali Muhammad, Kama barakta ‘ala Ibrahima Wa ‘ala ali Ibrahima, Fil a ‘lamina Innaka hamidun Majid. “
- Now turn your head to the right while saying, “Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatull ah” (peace and mercy of Allah be upon you), then turn your head to the left while repeating the same words.
What do you say after prayer?
When the prayer is over, you can say:
- Astarfiru allah, Astarfiru allah, Astarfiru allah)
- اللهم أنت السل ام، ومنك السلام، تباركت يا ذا الجلال والإكرام
- سبحان الله والحمد لله والله أكبر (Sobhana Allah wal Hamdo LIlah Wa Lahou Akbar 33 times) and he ends by Chahada.
- We can read Ayat Al Quorssi (verse 255 of Surah the Cow)
- You can read the last three suras of the Coran (Ikhlass, Falaq and Annasse)
What should be said before the prayer?
There is nothing to say before the salat, but after Takbirat Al Ihram. Narrated Abu Hurairah: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) used to keep silence – between opening the Takbir of prayer and reciting the Quran – for a short while. Then I asked him (about it) and he replied, “I said, ‘O Allah! Keep me away from my sins (flaws) as you separated east and west. O Allah, cleanse me from my sins as a white garment is cleansed from dirt. O Allah wash away my sins with water, snow and hail. [Muslim and Bukhari].
للهم باعد بيني وبين خطاياي كما باعدت بين المشرق والمغرب, اللهم نقني من خطاياي كما ينقى الثوب الأبيض من الدنس, اللهم اغسلني من خطاياي بالماء والثلج والبرد
What are the 5 prayers of the day
God ordered Muslims to pray five times a day:
Salat al-fajr prayer: dawn, before sunrise
Prayer al-dohr: time of day: noon, after the sun passes its highest
Salat al-asr: late afternoon
Prayer al-maghrib: just after sunset
Salat al-isha: between sunset and sunrise
All Muslims have the obligation to pray even the sick. Muslim children as young as seven are encouraged to pray.
How to do the fajr prayer (dawn salat)?
The Fajr prayer is made up of two rakas (unit of a Muslim prayer). It is carried out according to the method explained above.
How to do the dohr prayer (noon prayer)?
The dohr prayer is made up of four rakas (unit of a Muslim prayer). It is carried out according to the method explained above.
How to do the asr (afternoon salat) prayer?
The asr prayer is made up of four rakaats (unit of a Muslim prayer). It is carried out according to the method explained above.
How to do the Maghreb prayer?
The Maghreb (sunset) prayer is composed of three rakas (unit of a Muslim prayer). It is carried out according to the method explained above.
How to pray the isha (evening salat)?
The isha prayer is made up of four rakas (unit of a Muslim prayer). It is carried out according to the method explained above.
What are the supererogatory prayers in Islam?
In addition to the 5 obligatory prayers of the day, there are supererogatory prayers in Islam. For each obligatory prayer you have a supererogatory prayer before or after, which is also called Rawatib.
- Sobh: before al fajr two rakaats
- Dohr: 4 rakaats after the obligatory prayer
- Asr: no supererogatory prayer
- Maghreb: 2 rakaates after the prayer
- Icha: two rakaat after the Icha which is also called “Chaf'” and one rakraa “El witre”
In addition to these prayers and during Ramadan, the night prayer is done in groups and is called Tarawih and can be done in 8 or 21 rakaates.
How to pray seated?
Anyone who has an excuse due to illness and cannot stand during prayer is allowed to pray while seated. If someone cannot pray in a seated position, he can pray from the side while gesturing. In such a case, his gestures for sajdah; should be lower than those of his roukou’. This principle is based on the words of Allah: “…And celebrate the praises of Allah, standing, sitting and lying on your side” Surah Al Imran (3: 191). »
How to perform the funeral prayer (salat al-Janazah)?
The funeral prayer (Salat Janaza) is performed standing if possible. Say the first takbir and recite Surat al-Fatihah. Then say the second takbir and say blessings upon the Prophet peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. Then say the third takbir and do duaa for the deceased. Finally, say the fourth takbir and offer salam (say at-Tasleem).
How to pray aid al-fitr?
The Eid prayer can be a bit confusing, since it is only done twice a year and you have to refresh your memory! So we have prepared an easy guide to help you pray the Eid al Fitr prayer.
How to make the call to prayer?
It is also preferable, even obligatory, to make the 5 obligatory prayers in the mosque. In order to warn the faithful of the schedule of the salat, the Muézin makes the call to prayer in Arabic Adhan.
The formula validated by the Prophet, peace be upon him, of the adhan has 15 words as follows:
الله أكبر، الله أكبر، الله أكبر، الله أكبر، أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله، أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله، أشهد أن محمدًا رسول الله، أشهد أن محمدًا رسول الله، حي على الصلاة، حي على الصلاة، حي على الفلاح، حي على الفلاح، الله أكبر، الله أكبر، لا إله إلا الله